Self-isolation is the second arm of social distancing that needs to be strictly adhered to in order to stop the spread of Covid-19
Self-isolation means staying indoors and completely avoiding contact with other people. You are required to do this if you have symptoms of corona virus. This is to also stop other people from contacting the virus through you.
You will need to self-isolate:
- if you have symptoms of corona virus
- before you get tested for corona virus
- while you wait for test results
- if you have had a positive test result for corona virus
Self-isolation guide for Nigerians
- Intentionally stay at home, away from everybody for a period of 14 days. Do not go closer than 2 metre (5 feet) to anyone.
- Stay in a well ventilated room: Keep away from everyone including family and pets. Do not use commonly share household items.
- Work from home and ensure you have adequate supplies of food, water, toiletries, medication for existing ailments and other necessities.
- Always practice clean hygiene: Cover your mouth and nose with tissue or elbow when coughing or sneezing. Ensure you wash your hands with soap and water. Also get an alcohol-based hand sanitiser.
- Frequently clean and disinfect surfaces using household disinfectants.
- If you have continuous cough, fever, sore throat and difficulty breathing, immediately call 080097000010 or send a text message to 08099555577 and you also do a WhatsApp chat to 07087110839.
You will need to self-isolate if you have corona virus or have symptoms of corona virus. This could be before you get tested for corona virus, while you wait for test results or when a positive result is confirmed.
Most people with corona virus will only have mild symptoms and will get well within weeks. Even though the symptoms are mild, you can still spread the virus to others.
If you have to self-isolate, stay indoors and avoid contact with other people.
Only stop self-isolation when both of these apply to you:
- you have had no fever for 5 days
- it has been 14 days since you first developed symptoms
Health Emergency Initiative (HEI) works and uphold THAT NONE SHOULD DIE, hence we enjoin you to keep to the rule of social distancing. Follow HEI across social media platforms for safety measures and Covid-19 updates.